Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Race For Race Shape?

Saturday is the 7th annual Scare Brain Cancer Away 5k in Rochester. This race is also a Rochester Runner of the Year Race. Jan is currently in fourth place in her age group and with three races to go has a good shot at finishing in the top three. I am in a tie for ninth place and have little chance to finish in the top five and be eligible for an award.

I've been having an internal debate on why I should race this weekend for at least two weeks. This coincides with the last time I did any real speed training. My guess is I'll run my guts out and finish around a pace that ten years ago I could have maintained for 13.1 miles or longer. Anyone else I would have ready answers for why that is okay, even quite good. The bald guy sitting on my right shoulder hiding his belly fat keeps harping on that fact, whispering in my ear to accept what I am. The skinny, fast, bald guy on the left tells me running that slow is unacceptable and my fate is not sealed, there is still hope.

I'm going with the left shoulder runner. He is even wearing matching clothing and lightweight race shoes. He looks like a racer. The left shoulder guy tells me that this Saturday's 5k will be hard, but great training for the next RROY race, another 5k (the East Avenue Grocery Run), and then, on Thanksgiving morning, the last race in the series, the 25th annual Race with Grace 10k.

Besides, the race Saturday has pizza, Dibella's subs, and more post-race delights. Even if the left shoulder racer is wrong, the right side runner will be fed and happy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep listening to that left shoulder guy - best to keep moving and never stop trying!! Otherwise we get old (and slow!!)