Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Good Morning!

The weather pattern in western New York is continuing its' bizarre ways with our tenth day of hot temperatures and very high dew points, both higher than Alabama. I never thought we would have to go south to cool off.

The predictions for today were 90 with dew points between 66 and 71. That is very sticky weather. There is also the possibility of thunderstorms later this afternoon. These conditions prompted me to finally break my afternoon running habit and prep for an early morning, before work, 5:40am run. I'm not a fan of running that early in the morning. It's scary dark outside. It's hard to get out of bed. I have a strong need to be close to bathroom facilities. The muscles don't work quite the same at 5:40am as they do at 4:30pm.

I discovered a few things during and after today's short run;

1. My running everyday streak for September is a good motivator. I could have easily bagged the whole day if I hadn't made this promise to myself, simply to try and sleep another forty minutes.
2. I shocked Jan by actually getting out of bed and going out the door. Typically I lay out all my running clothes and don't use them for a morning run.
3. Since running in the early morning is not a habit for me I don't seem to sleep well while anticipating the alarm clock going off early.
4. We own a lot of reflective gear. I had a wrist band, ankle band and vest on. My running shoes have some reflective stripes. I wore a reflective hat. I had on my headlamp. I felt like a Christmas tree all lit up running down the street. Cars moved over though, so that was good.
5. I like the streetlamps around our neighborhood. They really help over just relying on the headlamp.
6. If I don't have all my gear out, my vest, sneakers and headlamp ready, I'm not going out for an early morning run. I have to be organized and ready the night before to stand any chance of moving my head off the pillow.
7. I seem to eat more and more often at work after running in the early morning.
8. I definitely drink more coffee, having a small cup before leaving for work, which is unusual for me, then having two more in the morning while at work.
9. I can't seem to get hydrated, even with drinking water all day. Though the hot, humid weather may be making that task more difficult.
10. What do I do when I get home? I'm going to have all this free time I used to use for running. Maybe I'll have more coffee?

No comments: