Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

A Good Cleaning

Last week I had the opportunity to have my second colonoscopy. My first one was about eight years ago and was supposed to be repeated after five years. As a person who is not a fan of visiting doctors I put it off until my doctor told my wife I really needed to man-up and get it done. What ever happened to patient confidentiality?

To prep for the colonoscopy I took the day before off from work even though I didn't have to begin the cleansing process until around 3:00pm. Unofficially I began the process with a cup of coffee and a nice six mile run. I had my last solid food around 9:00am. By 11:00am I felt hungry just because I wasn't supposed to eat solid food again until the next day. Don't ever include me on a hunger strike, I'd never make it for more than four hours. 

The procedure was in a small clinic instead of the hospital, which was nice and less stressful. I got checked in at 7:30am and was leaving around 9:30am. Jan even rewarded me with breakfast at the local diner for being such a good patient!

The doctor gave me a color photograph of my colon after the procedure. Why did I need this? It's not a body part I'm particularly fond of. This is similar to having my truck repaired at the local shop and the mechanic bringing out the bad parts that got replaced. The mechanic can explain all he wants about how this doohickey is mangled and has burrs, was oily, warped or bent. I have no idea what I'm looking at or even if it really came off my vehicle.

The same is true of my colon photograph. I guess it looks clean or whatever, but really, do I need to keep this? Does the doctor have a supply of these photographs and give the same one to everyone? I should have had him autograph it. If you come to visit my house should I include the photograph with my family photo slide show? I'm thinking this is not a good idea and may turn off my guests.

Thankfully I am healthy, but in five years I'll have to go back for another visit. Or maybe it will be stretched to eight years, unless my wife and doctor team up again, ugh.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

all your troubles are now behind you