Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

To Be Relevant

One of my big goals this year was to become relevant again in running races. At the very least I want to be competitive in my age group. Through four Rochester Runner of the Year Races I have a lousy 5 points, good for about 15th place. That is not really being relevant.

The last race was one of my usual favorites, the Medved 5k at Frontier field baseball stadium. For the finish you enter the stadium and run around the outfield ending at home plate. Typically I finish at least in the top 5 in my age group. This year was warm and humid, not my cup of tea. I had a slow last mile and no sprint. But I still hoped for at least 10th place or better despite a slower time than desired. When the results were posted I was 12th. No RROY points for me. A mere 30 seconds and I would have been 8th and at least earned 3 points.

What to do now? Well there happens to be another RROY race this coming weekend, a 6.6 ish mile hilly trail race. I decided today to enter it and then checked to see who else in my age group entered already. Out of about 170 current entrants 17 are in my group! I guess there won't any easy races this year, lots of old men to compete against, which is good really.

Jan is moving up in her age group, currently in 7th place. She is relevant.

No comments: