Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

QUIET!

A few weeks ago I finished the book, "Quiet: the Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking", by Susan Cain. There were a lot of great points in the book about how people who are introverted are perceived in the world. It was nice to read that someone like me isn't really a bad or ineffective person or second class citizen and needs to become an extrovert.

There are many reasons I exercise a lot and one reason I lean toward the individuality of running or biking or swimming may be that I am an introvert, at least that is my theory. Not that I didn't play team sports, I did, and still could enjoy that camaraderie, but for a long time I've found enjoyment in many of my solitary runs. I have a few close friends. I talk to many people and have improved greatly over the years with my social abilities, but can easily and happily be quiet.

There is too much in Cain's book to go into detail in this blog, but here are a few things I learned;

1. There are different levels/mixtures if you will of introverts. A High Reactive Introvert is particularly sensitive to new sights, sounds and smells.
2. An introvert may have tighter vocal chords, more cortisol (stress hormone), a more jangled feel when confronting something new and stimulating.
3. They use more eye movement when comparing choices and making decisions than other people.
4. Introverts tend to be more empathetic, caring and cooperative. They are easily disturbed by cruelty, injustice and irresponsibility.
5. The need to have downtime-quiet time.
6. Introverts can do public speaking but are much more comfortable with topics they are familiar with and care about. If they continue to fight this burnout, stress and health problems may be a result.
7. Love is essential, gregariousness is optional. Don't worry about socializing with everyone. Think quality over quantity and don't feel like you have to be the center of attention. It's okay.
8. Reward yourself when tasks that make you uncomfortable are completed (like public speaking).
9.  Make a deal with yourself to attend a set number of social events and, again, reward yourself in some small way when they are done. You don't have to attend everything.
10. Continuing to feel like you have to act as an extrovert when you aren't one will destroy your health.
and one more for good measure;  Studies suggest that many of the most creative people are introverts, and this is partly because of their capacity for quiet. Introverts are careful, reflective thinkers who can tolerate the solitude that idea-generation requires.


No comments: