Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Early Morning Thoughts

Miraculously (that looks misspelled but Google says it's not), I actually got out of bed early and ran before work! Getting up out of bed to run instead of finding an excuse to reset my alarm is unusual for me.
The weather people said we would have thunderstorms by 7am and again this afternoon so I took the chance that they would be correct in the timing of the storms and made it outside to run by 5:50am. I ran the short block, about .5 miles, and came right back inside for the bathroom. This is always my biggest fear on morning runs, being more than a few hundred yards from the facilities. After the stop I was able to run another 3 miles, still not straying far from home though.
Early morning runs also seem to stimulate the brain. I realized we have some terminology in running that would be quite alien to non-runners;

1. Tell a non-runner you are doing a ladder workout at the track. "You run with a ladder?" "Do you stop, place it on the ground and skip through the rungs?" "Do you use it to climb over the fence?"
2. Fartlek - too much gas on the run obviously.
3. Cruise Intervals - "You have a classic car, pretend you are 19 again and are going to the hamburger car hop joint?"
4. I'm going to run 10k pace for two miles. "What's a K?"
5. Form drills - "oh, that's a special attachment for your Black & Decker drill?"
6. Hill repeats - "you mean you run hard up a hill, jog down and repeat? That's fun to you?"
7. Cross Country - "Oh, now you help train cons how to escape and run across country?"
8. Clydesdale - a beautiful, muscular horse that pulls a beer wagon? No, it's a heavyset runner.
9. I do LSD. No, not the drug, Long Slow Distance.
10. Tempo - "Oh, you play drums in a band and keep tempo?"

Maybe I should run in the early morning more often? My brain needs stimulation.

No comments: