Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Mile Time Trial

For a few weeks I've been considering running the Charlie McMullen one mile race in June. With spring finally here in western NY and the tracks free of feet of snow, last Sunday was a perfect time for me to do a time trial.

I like going to the local high school track on Sunday mornings. Usually I am alone, occasionally one or two other people might be running or walking. Many times I use Sunday morning as my "play" day with running. I typically bike the 1.4 miles to the track and then begin the run workout with a 1-1.5 mile run. The pace is often a bit quicker than I run on the roads. After 800-1200 yards I'll generally pick up my pace on the straights for 100 yards.

Then it's play time. Depending on my mood I might do 6-10x100 yard sprints, or I'll continue with fast straights and jog the curves for three more miles. I might go off and run up and down the bleachers then come back to the track for a couple of laps before repeating the bleacher run. I may do a series of 200s, or more likely a ladder with 100-200-300-400 and back down and up/down again. On Saturdays I may run 8-10 miles with friends so my legs aren't always fresh for a full track workout, but in my younger days these are the kind of back to back days that seemed to make me stronger in races.  

This past Sunday was all about business though. A good mile race or time trial can be a hard thing to set your mind on. It's going to hurt, especially by lap three, and you need to mentally be prepared to accept that pain. Alone on the track it is easy to give up, slow down a bit, wonder if it's worth it. I have done little speedwork this year other than some telephone pole pickups or a couple of times running hard for 90-120 seconds seven or eight times during a five mile run. I had no idea what to expect in my mile time trial. Well, I had a goal, but didn't know if I would be close to it.

After my first lap I was pleased to see my watch read two seconds below my goal. The second lap became a bit harder and I came through the 800 at two seconds over the goal. Still doable. Lap three the bear came jumping on my back clawing and screaming. I was suddenly really glad no one was there to hear me. It seemed to take a long time to run the third lap, but also at 1000 yards I told myself it was almost over. Whatever time I ran was what I needed to design my future workouts around and improve from. I would have a yardstick to measure progress and I desperately needed that. I came through 1200 at six seconds over the goal.

The fourth lap was hard. I consciously picked up the pace, especially the last 100, and matched my first lap time. I was four seconds over my predicted time, not horrible and an effort I could be happy with. I rested before running another 1.25 miles and biking home. Now I'm ready to work and see if I can get in shape to race the McMullen without embarrassing myself within my age group.

2 comments:

Mike said...

What was your mile time?

Mike said...

Not fast enough to be published. Maybe when the time comes down a bit more.