Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

I Paid, Do I Really Have to Go?

Sometimes the feeling of guilt can be overwhelming. Recently I preregistered for the Fleet Feet Sports Spring Forward race. The 15k was being held at Mendon Ponds park, a hilly route just south of Rochester. I have either worked at or run in this race most years since 2005 (it began 2004).

This year Spring Forward was the second in the Rochester Runner of the Year series. Based on my training (only one "long" run of 9 miles this year) I didn't expect much. But with the series it can still be important to run in as many races as possible, unless you are uber fast. You never know who will show up to race in your age group and if you will get points or not.

Mike W and I made plans to commute to the race together. The race has grown tremendously over its' 11 year history. Organizers expected close to 1,000 people in the 15k, a separate 2.5 mile run and the kids races. Parking in the park was a concern and shuttle buses were supposed to help move people around.

My pre-race anxiety, despite the fact I knew it was more of a training run, grew as the race neared. I wanted to leave early and be able to park near the finish. I wanted to leave later and take the bus and leave a gear bag with my daughter who was working at the race. I didn't know if I really wanted to go, but I had paid my $25 race fee and talked Mike into going.

And then the weather hit us again. Snow was predicted, which came true with about 4 inches. I didn't want to slip and fall and re-injure my shoulder. But still I was going to go. I had all my race gear laid out the night before. I had a post-race bag packed and in my daughter's vehicle. I was set...physically.

Fifteen degrees. Yes. March 28 and it was going to be 15 degrees at race time, about 25-30 below normal for here. With snowy roads. This winter is never ending. I woke up every hour from 1:30am on. At 4:30am I heard the plows going back and forth near the intersection by our home. At 5:25 I got out of bed.
Start of Spring Forward 2015

I went to the bathroom and noticed our motion detector night light didn't come on. It was dark, really dark. Hmmm, the bulb must have blown. I went downstairs, all of the clocks were out. No lights. It was cold. No electric, no power. What the hell? How do I get ready for a race now? No coffee? That's just cruel. What about Jan? I couldn't go to a race and leave her, she needed to stay awake for work until 3am Saturday night. Who knows how long the power would be out? Now what?

I texted Mike saying I wouldn't be going, I had enough. I felt guilty. At 6:20am the power came back. Mike texted, want to go now? I was done, but MW did go and ran a good effort despite the cold, snow, ice and no shuttle buses showing up. I stayed home and biked inside 24 miles while watching "Oh Brother Where Out Thou?" It seemed an appropriate choice. Clooney's character lied about there really being a treasure, I lied, in a way, about going to race.

Four days later I still feel a bit guilty, though the Scotch Saturday night took care of some of that feeling.

No comments: