Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Streaking

Sorry, this is not about streaking naked through the village streets, but rather my February goal of running everyday. I was inspired to begin a running streak by a friend who made it through the month of December running at least one mile everyday. For now let's call him Mike. At the suggestion of his wife, when motivation began to lag a bit, Mike would hop on the fitness facility treadmill and get in a mile, which made continuing the streak easier from a physical and mental perspective.

Most weekends Mike would get one run in of 10-15 miles, so it's not like he was going a short distance just to say he ran everyday. Mike ended up running a half-marathon in January, finishing in the top 3% of his age group, so there seems to be some correlation between the streak and racing well.

I would like the same result to occur from my streak (racing well beginning with Johnny's Running of the Green 5 mile race). It is now Monday, February 3rd, but my streak actually began on Friday, January 30. Of course the Rochester area had 15 inches of snow on Monday with schools closed and side roads covered all day. Instead of my treadmill though, I felt the need to get outdoors and run. With my Brooks Running shoes that I equipped with 8 metal screws traction wasn't an issue. My 33 minute run was at a slow pace yet due to the snow seemed like a track workout.
I think there are 10 reasons for me to continue on my running streak:

1. I only lost 5lbs in January, the streak may help get rid of the next 12 lbs.
2. My legs and aerobic capacity will improve.
3. February is 28 days, much easier to continue the streak than the 31 days of some months.
4. If I go to the treadmill on days I'm not motivated thinking I just need to run a mile, maybe it will end up being a three mile run, which will be good for me. If not, I still get the mile.
5. My weekly mileage will naturally increase, which I need to get faster.
6.The month, which began with brutal weather and seems to be continuing with that pattern for at least another week, might go by faster?
7. My neighbors will think I am nuts. It's okay to be different, I embrace that feeling.
8. I can bring out one of the new pair of running shoes stored under my bed on a day motivation is lagging. New shoes always make me feel like I'm light-footed, running easily on air.
9. My mental outlook has already changed and hopefully I can stay positive about the streak and not like it's some burden.
10. I'll have something to brag about. Not that most people care, but it'll make me feel good anyhow.

Question - Does snowshoeing count as running? In the past I have recorded them as separate activities. What do you think?

No comments: