Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Friday, January 2, 2015

A Weighty Issue

Last year about this time I entered into a weight loss bet with MW and LK. I think Lou won the bet, but I did lose around twelve pounds eventually, moving from my highest weight ever of 183lbs to 170 by August. One-hundred seventy isn't a bad weight for a 6'1" male, in normal society it's probably considered thin. But I live in a world of runners and have a history of knowing my best running times occurred when I weighed 165-168.
By the annual Thanksgiving Day race, Race with Grace, I was back to 175lbs. When I got weighed in for shoulder surgery on December 2nd I was up to 180. At my one month checkup on December 29th I was at 190 (with running shoes and clothes on, but still, that is obese in my world).
The surgeon gave me permission to slowly add running back into my routine. I came home and ran a mile in 10 minutes on the treadmill. Two days later I ran two miles outside feeling like a bowling ball was strapped to my waist. My running tights were stretched to their limit. My form-fitting Craft running shirt bulged over my stomach rolls.
It's not a good look.
So a year later and another diet to go on. No bets this time, but by March the plan is to be down to 180lbs or less. When May rolls around 170lbs, maybe 168 if I really do well. That weight should help with my 2015 goal of finishing in the top three for the Rochester Runner of the Year races in my age group (55-59).  Maybe I'll even get back to my dream of looking like Captain America. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well at least you didn't blow out a button on your pants...sorry.