Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Friday, December 5, 2014

Time After Time

Once the surgical drugs wore off and I began to feel more human, which really seemed to take 48 hours, it was time to figure out how to spend my days. With limited movement and no strength in my dominant arm, the right one, I am also limited to activities I can pursue.
I have ten accomplishments thus far;

1. Shredding. Jan has set me up with this annual task, the destruction of envelopes filled with receipts, pay stubs, bank statements and the like. I'm working on my second garbage bag, anyone need starter paper for their fireplace?
2. Reading the bookclub book, "Brave New World". Our bookclub will meet this Saturday to enjoy some discussion, wine and food. I'm finding this book particularly challenging to read, classic or not.
3. Napping. Normally I don't take naps, now I just fall asleep uncontrollably around 3 every afternoon. I still don't like naps as I always feel so groggy after I wake up.
4. Getting the mail. Yes, just walking fifty feet to the mailbox and breathing fresh air feels good. Except then I get to the box and find no mail and it's 4pm or later (it's 5:30pm today and no mailman yet). Why do we have daily mail, it should be delivered maybe 3x a week?
5. Updating my ESPN fantasy football team. I play in a league with some distant family members and their friends. For three years in a row I made the championship round, winning one, kind of like Peyton Manning. This year my team stinks and I can't seem to find players who will come through on game day, just like the Bills have struggled to find some good players for 14 years.
6. Watching Ellen DeGeneres on tv. This show is on about the time I come out of my nap. She provides a gentle introduction back to life.
7. I try to watch the television news, but it's so depressing after about five minutes I have to change to sports talk, though that can get old quickly.
8. Physical therapy. Today I began therapy, which went well. I will be going back once a week for a couple of weeks, at least. I might be able to drive a vehicle again by next Tuesday!
9. Drinking coffee. I still seem to be on the Pacific Northwest plan of drinking coffee at least three times a day.
10. Bugging Jan. She has had to do everything, including working from home, making three meals a day, getting me water, helping me dress, she does it all. I am very lucky.

No comments: