Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Monday, December 1, 2014

Fears of Surgery


On December second I get to have arthroscopic surgery to repair tears in the cartilage around my shoulder (the labrum). The length of recovery will depend on how much damage there actually is; hopefully it’s just some minor scar tissue buildup and not extensive tears.
1.       When I begin swimming again will I just go around in circles since my right arm will be so strong?

2.       Will I get over the fear of falling? Snowshoeing and falling go hand in hand for me and that could be a real mental challenge to get over.

3.       I plan on lifting weights with my left arm while my right is still in a sling. Will the left arm become grossly distorted when compared to the shriveled right arm?

4.       I’ve only had surgery once before, yes I have been lucky. When I was four years old I had my tonsils out and my stuffed dog Bela came along. Do you think I can take him again?

5.       People wear pajamas everywhere now. I am supposed to wear loose fitting comfortable clothes to the surgical center, but the idea of a 58 year old wearing pj’s out in public seems weird to me. I think sweat pants will suffice.

6.       If the anesthesia wears off and I wake up during surgery is it okay to scream?

7.       Will the doctor give me a tape of the surgery so I can watch it later?

8.        Will Jan get tired of waiting on me? I’m a bad patient when I have a cold, can’t imagine what this will be like. Have pity on her.

9.       Is Bourbon a suitable alternative to pain medication?

10.   How long before I get sick of daytime television?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good blog, some answers:
1. Iv'e seen your right arm. Don't worry about it over compensating.



3. See #1 above.



5. Pants are a good way to go.
6.
are you talking about you or the surgeon screaming?









9. Yes.

10. think netflix, MOD, and being made fun of by MW.


Anonymous said...

Give yourself about...maybe 1
day before you get sick of daytime TV! Good luck - heal fast!