Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Urban Not-So-Fit

Monday night I attended my first Fleet Feet UrbanFit class. UrbanFit is defined as "both an aerobic and anaerobic workout, mixing cardio and strength training. It is outdoors using what nature and our city gives us--no fancy gym equipment needed! UrbanFit is both challenging and fun."
And it was.
The class last night was a freebie, on August 25 FF begins sessions at the Ridgeway and Armory stores, six weeks for $35, one hour per class.
The next morning I had the option of walking up four floors to my place of work, take the elevator or ride the escalator. Normally I would walk the stairs, this time I rode the escalator (yes, rode, usually I walk while it moves, not this time). The elevator, well, it's 100 years old and not something I want to be trapped in, so that wasn't an option.
My hamstrings, quads and calves are a bit sore. Not post-marathon sore, but definitely tender and in the need of recovery. Around 25 people of all ages and sizes showed up for UrbanFIT. We jogged a few minutes then went right into jumping jacks and pretend jump roping non-stop to warm-up. We did 3 minute intervals of pushups, abdominal exercises and squats. We moved on to tricep dips, lunges (so many lunges!) and mountain climbers (ouch). We did several other exercises involving all muscle groups. For fun we ended with the old stand-by, squat thrusts.
The time went by fast, the instructor kept us moving and motivated. I will be signing up for the next six weeks.
   

No comments: