Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Friday, August 1, 2014

High School Reunion

I don't feel old enough to be having a 40th high school reunion this weekend, but it's here. I am a reunion virgin, never having any desire to attend one in the past. Once I wasn't even invited, how's that for building up your self-esteem?
This weekend I'm breaking my rule and going. I'm taking my trophy wife, Jan, for moral support. A handful of people who were friends are coming in from out of town (the party is five miles from my house, traveling expenses being another excuse I can't use) and I haven't seen them in a long time.
Also, a bit morbid, but last year a high school friend passed away unexpectedly, he had come up from his home in NC the year before to a mini-reunion that I didn't attend. Who knew that would be my last year to have the chance to see him? Another friend died suddenly this past spring, we had reunited through Facebook, but again, I missed chances to see him.

So tonight is an informal get together at a local bar, Saturday night a dinner at a golf course banquet facility.  Mike W put together two top ten lists regarding reunions;
 
Top 10 things to look cool at your reunion.
1.       Enter the room and do a James Brown split on the dance floor.
2.       Yell into your cell phone, “Listen, you were the one elected President. Why should I fix this?”
3.       Tip the bartender with Monopoly money.
4.       Do a one arm pushup and then do a shot of tequila.
5.       When dancing with Jan, dip often.
6.       Wear dark glasses the whole night and act jumpy.
7.       Ask someone, “Is there a place to store my gat here”
8.       Show up in a horse and buggy.
9.       Pretend to have a conversation on your shoe phone.
10.   Call everyone Dude.

Top 10 things not to do.
1.       Enter the room and do a James Brown split and need 5 guys to pick you up…and split your pants.
2.       Yell into your cell phone, “Not now Ma. I’ll clean my room tomorrow morning.”
3.       Ask the former prom queen to dance and do the twist.
4.       Introduce Jan as your first wife.
5.       Tell anyone you hang out with Lou and me.
6.       Walk out of the men’s room with a trail of tp behind you stuck to your shoe.
7.       Wear any part of your old football uniform.
8.       Stand next to the guy who has great hair and is a VP for Microsoft.
9.       Bring your travel Yahtze game.
10.   Fall asleep at your table…at 8:30.

No comments: