Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Duckweed

No, it's not a remake of the Marx Brother's classic film, Duck Soup.

 
Duckweed "are flowering aquatic plants which float on or just beneath the surface of still or slow-moving bodies of fresh water" (Wikipedia). This is what Jan and I swam in on Sunday at Canandaigua Lake.
 
Fortunately all we had to do was wade through a few feet of the duckweed, which near Kershaw Park wasn't quite as thick as seen here. Around 100 feet from shore the weed was gone, otherwise the swim wouldn't have happened. The last thing I wanted to do was swallow a bunch of this stuff while breathing.

I did notice at night, when the glow from the supermoon came out, that Jan and I had a green aura sounding us, but that may have been my imagination.
 
In some cultures duckweed is used for food, containing more protein than soybean! Maybe Jan and I should have brought home a bucket for smoothies? 



No comments: