Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Ironman

Yesterday I received notification in my email that a new full IM race will be held in Muskoka, Ontario Canada. Why do I receive this notifications? I'm not sure, it must be a holdover from Jan entering Louisville and Lake Placid.
The new race will be held August 30, 2015 and the previous 70.3IM will be moved to July, making a perfect training race for the full distance. The cost is only 700 Canadian, plus HST (tax) plus Active.com fees. ($757 US, plus tax and fee, so way over $800).

Today, I was presented with a new offer in my email. If I register within the next 24 hours for Lake Placid IM 2015, I also get entry to the Syracuse 70.3 race held a month earlier, the so called "RACE READY PACKAGE". This package is limited to 400 athletes and costs $940 plus Active.com fees. It's a bargain I guess as Lake Placid IM entry alone is $725 plus fees. I suppose if you are entering LP anyhow this package kind of makes sense assuming Syracuse is your destination of choice for a 1/2 IM.

Interesting, when we went to watch the 2008 LPIM, to register for 2009 your best shot was to wait in line on Monday morning, charge account in hand, for 2-3 hours. With the link above you can register before this year's race, if you are ready to commit to two races next summer.

This also tells me the IM corporation (now an equity group owns IM, not a private person) is looking for new methods of marketing their product, expanding the brand and driving profits. When Jan completed LP in 2009 around 2,100 people were allowed in the race. The transition area was busy, lets say, but roomy enough. This year (Sunday actually) 2,500 are expected to start the race. At $700 per runner entry fee that's an additional $280,000, not bad if you can keep the race safe and not burn out the local townspeople.

So hurry, click on the one of the links above. Just choose Canada or the Adirondacks for your race!

No comments: