Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Fleet Feet Swim Lessons

The rumors are true, Jan and I are taking part in weekly swim lessons through a Fleet Feet training program. The cost, $120 per person, had me thinking twice about registering for the class. We will be able to attend 9 of the 10 sessions, so it comes down to about $13 per lesson, not bad, especially when you can spend a couple of hundred for a weekend of Total Immersion training. I furthered justified this by hoping what I learned would be used over the next 20-30 years of my life while I continue to swim. If so, that takes the cost down to $3 per year, which even a frugal person such as myself can justify spending.

My grandfather swam in area lakes until his mid-late 70's and at the local Y up until 80+. Maybe one or two of his swimming genes are in my body? The genes haven't shown up yet, but after a few lessons let's hope they come out to play. My goal is to become more efficient in the water and spend less energy moving, even if my speed doesn't improve. Jan, an Ironman finisher (once an IM finisher, always an IM finisher, just like the Marines), wants to become more comfortable in the water (and faster - such a competitive person).

Mike Baxter, a local triathlete, is the head coach, with Katie Niebuhr assisting. We have about 26 people in the class and swim from 6:30-7:45 at the Harley School. The first night the coaches had us do a time trial. There are a range of people in the class, all adults, but all sizes and shapes and abilities. Three people are just trying to become comfortable in the pool and did not complete the trial. Nine swimmers did a 50m trial and thirteen of us did a 100m trial. Jan was 3/13 with a 1:34, I was 6/13 with a 1:49 which actually is a pr for me. One of the goals the coaches have for us is to get our final time trial completed at a faster pace.

Last Tuesday we were doing swim drills and Coach Katie came over to the lane I was sharing and said this drill was especially for me! I didn't know she was even watching, not when she had 25 people to instruct. Is it good or bad that Katie can see how pathetic I am from across the pool?

One final note for now. There is a 78 year old man in the class who swam a 1:30 for the 100m time trial. He is prepping for his first triathlon in June. That is the type of person who keeps me inspired to keep moving and learning.

No comments: